- Domain name – This is the name of your website. The domain name is the name by which your website will be known worldwide e.g. www.google.com.
- Web hosting – The website needs to be put on a server so that it can be accessed from anywhere in the world. The server provides the resources needed to store and run the website.
Selection of web hosting services:
One finds an ample number of web hosting providers in the market. Most providers have well defined hosting plans for their users. Based on the long usage history of their clients, they have tailor-made plans fit for different categories of clients. Seldom, there arises a case where the client does not find a befitting plan for his needs but those are the cases of custom applications and the provider can customize plans for such clients.
In spite of all the available perks, it is beneficial for a user to have an idea of the terminology of web hosting service so that a perfect plan can be selected based on the requirements. The following factors determine the provider and the plan.
- Disk Space – the (hard) disk space (measured in MB or GB)
- Bandwidth – the volume of data exchange allowed between the server and website visitors in a given month (measured in GB per month)
- SQL database – the database engine and number of databases per account
- Email accounts – the number of email addresses per account
- RAM– the RAM allowed per account (measured in MB or GB)
- Number of files – the number of files allowed per account
- Number of processes – the number of processes that can be started per account
- I/O limit – the volume of data exchange allowed between the server and website visitors per second (measured in MB per second)
- Addon domains – the number of addon domains per account
- OS – the operating system installed on the server
- Type of server – the type of server on the basis of ownership/sharing: Dedicated, Shared and VPS (Virtual Private Server)
- Overuse – overuse refers to the state where you have exhausted the resources allotted
- Backup Service – one should take regular backups of the website and keep a copy offline on their local machine
- File Types -there is a constraint on the type of content that can be put on the server
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: